Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Beam That is in Thine Own Eye

“Laugh now. We won’t
be homeless in Heaven.
God bless.”

But I wasn’t laughing
when I pulled up next
to you and your cardboard
sign like a soul mate.

I am no sensitive,
ignorant girl crying like
a clueless blonde I know
who would pet you like
a lost dog,
and I am not ignorant
to this capitalist world
that has left you here
by this curb begging
for money.

I care not if you do not need it.
I care not if you use it for drugs,
for alcohol.

America, none of that matters.

Even this agnostic girl
has read the gospel of Luke.
You laugh at its call to give
your shirt even though
they stole your jacket.

I pull up to the ATM,
tunic and all, and ride
back to your perch—

“Here. I don’t care
how you spend it.”—

Faded McCain and Palin
sticker glowing on the Lexus
in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment