Monday, February 15, 2010

Shakespeare Is Not That Cool Because I Said So

When I was in college, I took an entire course on Shakespeare, and obviously, being an English major, studied Shakespeare in most all of my classes. The man is clearly put on a pedestal by everyone who encounters his works. I put him on a pedestal myself at one point in time. I remember a certain girl in my Education classes (ahem. Lauren.) who hated Shakespeare. I never understood why—until now.

You see, when I "learned" about Shakespeare, I merely regurgitated information absorbed by a narrative fact-based class. I read the assigned plays, and I disgorged the information onto college-ruled lines of nonsense, but I never perceived (There's that word again. I love that word.) Shakespeare until I had the opportunity to teach it. It wasn't until night after night of Macbeth lines and sonnets and comedies and too many Nicholas Sparks conversations about books compared to movies (relevance will surface later) that I realized Shakespeare is shit.

Shakespeare functions in the same fashion as Microsoft Excel and Quicken. Simply download a template, fill in the cells, and you've got a play (if you can't see the Nicholas Sparks relevance by now. Wake up.) Shakespeare started early; his supposed first play (Henry VI) was milked for three parts. The template worked, why change it? The first Twilight book was a hit, why stop there? Shakespeare then went on to create plays from tweaked templates (If you need evidence for this, read a comedy or two. Don't expect a good laugh. His tragedies are much funnier than his comedies).

Nicholas Sparks is today's Shakespeare. Don't get me wrong, Shakespeare is way more talented in a language sense, but they both are/were after the same thing: money. Unlike Shakespeare, Nicholas Sparks doesn't even attempt to elaborately tweak his templates. He uses the same damn story every time only with a different setting and a different death victim—whatever makes the ladies cry.

Who can blame either of them? Money is, after all, essential. I can't say I wouldn't do it too, but I wouldn't expect anyone to put the "pussy on the pedestal" so-to-speak (sorry to those who are offended by the term "pussy." I don't get offended by much. No point.) I wouldn't expect to be worshiped in the world of literature for my cookie cutter chocolate chip, white chocolate macadamia nut, and peanut butter preacher cookie literature. Not at all. Give me the money, and I'm gone too. So why is it that every child in the world is expected to study Shakespeare and not Chuck Palahniuk? Coriolanus and not Pygmy? Don't say language because I can spit out a list of meritorious poets, novelists, essayists, and even pamphleteers with such notable language as well.

This brings me to my next point, which is that I like Shakespeare ("Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes"). I like him for that constant smirk hidden underneath of his pounds, shillings, and pence smile. I like him because he reminds me of Whitman (NOT in terms of beautiful poetry). Whitman hid his smirk on every notable coffee table in American, and I appreciate both of these fuckers for what they really are—an avarice-driven Schmuck and a superior, brilliant, god-like fag.

9 comments:

  1. this is only slightly related to your post but i think you will appreciate the idea:
    sean used some beautiful whitman lines in my vday card this year (he knows how much i love him) the lines were great and the sentiment wonderful...but knowing they came from whitman just made me laugh...
    he gave us this beautiful language about so many things including love and hid them behind that bride groom crap even though it was all about that athletic love...
    i wonder if he ever smirked about the money and that he was pulling a fast one on all those homophobic haters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's precisely what he did! And you know, public schools teach Whitman as "Oh Captain! My Captain!", and that makes me laugh beyond containment because to me, that's his worst work.

    The public fails to recognize the beauty of his poetry because they fail to recognize its meaning (or just are too uncomfortable with it). Whitman clearly spoke of the "homoerotic" and he often spoke of the "spewing" of freedom (giggity). He has an entire collection of poems named after a calamus plant (the shape of a goddamn penis).

    I think what makes me love him so much (aside from his beautiful listing and perfect alignment of metaphor and democracy) is his smirk. It's the fact that Leaves of Grass was this leather bound coffee table masterpiece that sat on the table of the homophobic and devastatingly religious who were against the nature of his poems, but they didn't have a clue! It's even evident in the flamboyancy of his zillions of pictures he had taken of himself. He was the underground, discreet Salvador Dali of his time.

    Dammit. You got me on a tangent. Oh, how I love talking about Whitman. "Oh me! Oh life!" [I'm officially the biggest nerd ever. I need some malt liquor and you guys in my life immediately]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once read a book by a student of the occult named Manly P Hall, titled "Secret Teachings of All Ages". In it he claimed Shakespeares works were in fact not written by him at all. He cited a few "facts" to support this claim, which I never researched. Anyhow, he pointed out that there is little to no evidence that Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare’s works. As a matter of fact, there is a lot more evidence that Shakespeare didn’t write the works attributed to him. Some of the best arguments include:

    He lacks the background, breeding, and education to write such astounding lyrics. His plays have a depth and a magnitude so great that only a university-educated man of high status could have. As a matter of fact, his parents and daughters were probably illiterate, let alone able to send him to a university. I find it incredibly hard to believe that a figure of "literary genius" would stand for illiterate childeren, but whether or not they truly were is unknown to me. Yet it is great gossip, isn't it?

    Shakespeare retired to Stratford in about 1613, at the pinnacle of his career. Why?
    Hall also claimed that there are portraits of Shakespeare, but none that were done during his lifetime. Why was he not painted, as other authors at his time were?

    Hall also alledges that Shake's death entry in the parish registry lists him as a "Gent." Not a dramatist, not an actor, but a "Gent", and that originally a sack of grain was pictured on his headstone; in 1747 (when Shakespeare was gaining popularity), the sack was replaced with a quill pen. Lastly, there was not even a eulogy for him the day he died.

    Now I'm not one to gossip. So you didn't hear any of this from me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHOOOO! FIGHT THE POWER!

    *ahem* in all seriousness, i agree with you. i think what a lot people don't realize is that shakespeare wasn't some lone genius pumping these things out in a vacuum. he was just another schmoe cranking out plays for the masses. his just happened to last somehow while others were destroyed or fell by the wayside. or some historian happened upon them, liked them, and therefore convinced everyone else to like them too. art's like that. we pretend to like things to fit it even if deep down we think it's absolute shit.

    i think though, one good thing about shakespeare, if it's taught with a good eye, is that it introduces kids to a wider range of literature and drama. like...a jump off point to bigger and better things...you know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hell yes. there are clearly parts of macbeth that were not written by him (if any at all...so true, michael). Hecate (goddess of witchcraft) does this super awkward act where she just sings in couplets and dances. totally doesn't sound like shakespeare. i always have this discussion with my 12th graders. they actually get really into it. some are die-hard set that it's shakespeare, and others are totally set on it being some person who just wanted to add it for entertainment. makes sense. the truly entertaining parts of macbeth (stage wise) are the ones with the witches. he doesn't even kill duncan on stage (yet he does kill a macduff's child...hmp...anyway). but i totally agree with bekka, that it's kind of gateway literature...it "works across the curriculum" so-to-speak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. the title of this makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not going to comment on all of it, but my opinion has changed slightly. When you first met me, I hated Shakespeare and could hardly see a bit of worth in teaching with the material. Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that sure, it could be used as some kind of gateway to other works/writers.
    Also, don't even get me started on the whole "Who was Shakespeare?" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not really commenting on this blog. I just love how you now have a warning label before you enter your blog. haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. people have been losing their jobs left and right...i figured if i came to bat i could at least say i warned them before they read it. haha.

    ReplyDelete