Salem, Massachusetts 2012
Arthur, your allegory expands
through time, a whore’s tampon
with the Red Scare leaking
communism.
This town is an allegorical pit,
layers of morals like stock
characters in a dung pile.
I will fly from it, fly from
this window like Betty Parris.
Sure, the Devil flies me on his
broom, above the barn.
Sure, I sign my name, nail
it to the church door like
ignorance, a Bible in a
glove box next to a gun.
Puritan village: so dumb, so.
That wasn’t a deer you hit;
it was Big Foot, I tell you.
Pray to the Great Big Foot.
He was born from the ground,
resurrected from larva after
his ancestor appeared from
the other side of the volcano
with a list of rules, guidelines.
Commandment 1: no fun.
I’ve sailed this Puritan sea
for so long, too long.
I leave you to your ignorance.
Tell them I flew, over the barn,
the Great Barn Revival.
Tell them I am John Proctor,
committing lechery of the mind.
Tell them Elizabeth is with me.
Tell them I’ll hang for pride,
Lord’s Prayer echoing through
their laughter,
like 1692.
Monday, February 13, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment