TUB
RESTORATION
My father
says I restored this 77-year-old tub
to feel like
Cleopatra but I only wanted escape
from cybernetic
ecology, wanted to feel
cast iron
cool on my back in the winter
and I didn’t
feel like a princess or an Egyptian goddess
in this tub
because I spent hours whittling it away.
I dumped it like
my own crusted memories
on the cracked
concrete driveway, mask allowing
me to
breathe nothing from the past
that I am
sanding away like corroding bones,
77 years of
memories echoing from the drone
of a sander.
It took four hours to strip the tub
clean of its
memories, to peel the now elderly children’s
fingertips
from the sides where they bathed
in democracy,
capitalist rubber duck trying to stay afloat
while Roosevelt
speaks on the radio and a Declaration
of War
floats in the air pulled by little atomies
while Queen
Mab is in a hazelnut flying
through men’s
noses while they sleep.
Memories are
dissipating and lost in the atmosphere
of a belt sander
with each medium grade discard,
each rectangle
tossed into the trash,
nationalism
in a hefty bag, and surely the coming
and going of
women (talking of Michelangelo or
Kennedy or
King) was lost in the friction as well
and I can
almost see one whispering Free at last
Thank God Almighty we are free at
last and perhaps
the mothers memorized
the ceiling above the tub
while their
children slept, while their husbands slept
like dolls. When I
finished sanding, I painted the raw canvas
(flushed of
memories, history floating through the
atmosphere)
with a porcelain white and now I soak
like a working
class Cleopatra in a memory pond,
pruning away
in the dull dust of humanity.
UTOPIA ON A PARK BENCH
An old man wrinkled with time,
wrinkled with so many days at
Goodyear Tire, constructing tires
in an assembly line, tire population
in the thousands, communists
on a conveyer belt, arms
forcefully
pointed upward. His park bench
is vast like a continent.
He, like Chagall’s wife, corner of
a canvas,
consumes just a fraction of the
wood
and metal conglomerate, and he
is feeding the birds, feeding the
birds
as God, government of birds
competing
for each seed like capitalism in
a park
with leaping birds, working class
birds,
open leaves in the open air of
every
season of every year. Equal
amounts
of seed pour onto the ground and
he
knows there is no solution to
equalize
their earnings, to balance the
scale
with Marx perched in the middle as
a raven.
He knows no socialist solution in
his
steel-toed boots and windbreaker
with his beard growing downward
like the droppings of his tears
to paper bag.
He knows no solution, only that
he
is a giving tree in a dystopian
world
and he tried to throw a pile
here,
a pile there, one for you, one
for you,
but the birds, the birds worked
for their
profit, while the man, like God,
fed them.
AND VIOLETS
ARE BLUE
I am tired
of submitting to journals,
society,
men, God, tired of watching
my dog cower
under my desk
after
pissing on the floor.
I am his god
after all, and he
is tired of
submitting to me,
tired of
drooping his ears
under tables
and desks.
But we are
all gods here ambushed
in the
center of the infinite wooden
babushka
doll,
clawing and
crawling
and cussing and
singing
all praises,
all hail
the Great
Babushka.
I submit now,
roll on my back,
in a wooden
container like
a babushka
doll under a desk,
miming and
suffocating and cowering
with simple
movement like a puppet.
Society, I
bring you clichés now.
I bring you
red roses
and blue
violets.
I cower
under your table,
and like a
dog,
I piss on
your floor.
PANDORA
Remember, remember, this is now,
and now, and now. Live it, feel it,
cling to it. –Sylvia Plath
It is
Mother’s Day Sunday, and I have
read the
chapter of Luke before opening
the dusty
box of yours, my deceased mother.
Your journal
is sealed with the emblem
of an
asylum. Your name written, chiseled
into the top
like a vintage museum piece.
I open your
words, gloveless,
a box of
evils sprouting into the world,
red, red
apples thrusting into the open
air like
sins, hope left in the bottom
corner next
to a ball of lent.
Lately, I
have been reading the journals
of Plath
like a bible thinking they were you,
reading the
chapters and verses and now,
and now, and
now, I am finally holding
your words
which are distorted,
which are
incomprehensible
through a
bell jar of tears.
Remember,
remember the chapped lips
of your
smile, the features of your face,
the swampy
feeling of my cheek after your kiss.
And to see
your journal lying here next to Plath’s,
next to
mine, juxtaposed, is colossal.
We have
spoken to each other now,
clung to
each other now, through written
telepathy, our
journals mingling in comparable
time discussing
life as two old feminists
in rocking
chairs, like Plath and Sexton
chuckling,
rocking, like Eve reaching
for a red,
red apple.
No comments:
Post a Comment