Monday, June 25, 2012


Cognitive Dissonance in a Sunroom

I have been painting away your memory,
bristles colliding to canvas,
metaphorically clenching
as I sip the beer that is so innocent
and proud
on the morning table.

The rose on the table
is no gray rose of the south,
but my beer is a hideous redneck,
and it tastes of piss and change.

But I drink it.
I drink it.

(As though God were in liquid form)

And you are lost in my acrylic
like my humble esophagus
rejecting the pain,
rejecting your liquid antidotes
like hormone driven fish
swimming through the Zodiac,
a spirituality quest.

I have read my horoscope
daily since we split.
That is what they all call
it after all, a split,
like two atoms throwing
darts at one another
in a gurdwara,
like a molecule split
by society’s microscopic blade.

Like two birds on a simple, simple wire.

I paint nothing more than that.

And those goddamn birds
are all that is left of us.
And I choose to sip
the blue-ribboned beer
that has left a ring
of condensation
on my canvas.

I wipe away the ring
like my eternal wedding band,
both as worthless as my art,

and become quite still.


No comments:

Post a Comment