They moved you from your haven,
to a dynasty for the old.
the linoleum floor in the bathroom
contains the only materials left from your haven—
the only items left from your lifetime of memories—
my bedroom suite
a kitchen table
and a floor lamp
from the sink I watch your green-fringed rug,
so lost,
so out of place.
Like you, it begs for wear—
damaged and faded like your mind
raped with dementia.
I visit you twice a week—
call you each day.
I apprehensively go, while your now first-born
through succession stays and goes amongst
the pills.
It’s only a matter of time for him—
only a matter of time for you.
I’ll witness the apocalypse slowly.
Sara Teasdale’s right; it’ll be so quiet without the humans.
Your soft rains come in the form of
wrinkled eyes,
small steps,
and repugnance.
And I take the harsh words, the denouncement
from you both—hierarchy of chastisement,
because when you borrow life,
you return it.
I will continue my visits like the cycle of life—
like moss growing over graves.
like a green-fringed rug,
so lost,
so out of place.
Thursday, April 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment